Tuesday, October 6, 2020

My great grandmother gardened

My great grandmother gardened

her suburban yard: unlawned it,

planted it thick with beans, tomatoes,

peach trees-- an unruly, fruitful sprawl.

Indoors, she coddled shoots and starts

in yogurt pots. 

I remember how she filled all her windowsills 

with aloes and with wandering Jew.

She lived alone, green framed,

I remember how the quiet filled my ears.

She served me tomatoes, ripe and sliced

thick, dripping summer--she poured me 

sweet tea, thick with honey, fruit, and mint.

I watched my manners. I asked

the names of plants. I did not know, then,

how hard she was to love, 

that woman who made her own way, 

who divorced when women didn't,

who cherished no one. 

When I was grown, I heard

her children, dutiful, call her Mother

with no tenderness.

I remembered

she could coax new roots from a dry twig.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment