Monday, April 23, 2012

Apostrophe: Apostrophe

Apostrophe!
Apostrophe!
Why must you be so difficult to use?
Daily i wince at idiots' abuse
of you.
Don't you see
The way they stick you everywhere
You properly
ought not to be?

Apostrophe!
I want to cry!
Youre like an eyelash
grating
in my eye:
Making plural's,
Not possessives
or contractions.
Obscene exposure,
indecent action's:
id really rather
much not see
so much of you,
Apostrophe.

Apostrophe!
I want to weep!
Put myself to sleep!
English is a dying art.
I'm not a philistine.
"Improper" grammar doesn't turn me green.
Linguistic evolution
Exists -- but being stupid
Is always wrong,
Apostrophe.

5 comments:

  1. APOSTROPHE: Addressing an abstract idea, or concrete thing, that can't really dialogue with you.

    "O Death -- Where is your sting?"
    "Rain, you trickle down with my own weeping."
    "What do you want from me, ghosts? Why are you reaching / out with such wordless beseeching?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!
    I am grateful, however, that you did not chastise thoe of us who misuse apostrope's low-born cousin, the comma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been guilty of inappropriate involvement with the semicolon. Just ask my English professors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear wife; thank you for making egg's this morning, for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear husband:

    You are not funny. I hate you.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete