Friday, February 27, 2015

go home

they say you can't go home again
they say you can't 
go home again

the house that i remember --
went that way --
had fallen in

the house that i remember
mama met me at the door
mud pulling at my footsteps -- mama
met me at the door
Said Child, you can't come here any more

Got my pockets full of sadness but
i walked inside the door
All  my pockets full  -- still
walked inside that door
i have enough of shame and grief
don't give me any more

mama won't you hold me?
Child your mama needs a friend
Her back and arms are aching
with the stones she's carrying--

daddy won't you hold me?
Child your daddy needs a friend
His mouth is black and bleeding
Belly full of sin

mama won't you hold me?
walked back down that shadow road
saw the house that i remember
filled up with heavy stones

i got buckets for your burdens
i got bottles for your tears
i got chains to string your heartbreak
Got pockets for the years --

pockets full of heavy
tried to stuff your sadness in
my pockets overflowing
Got no room to stuff your burdens in --
Tried picking up that heavy and
i broke my back again

they say you can't go home again
Mama sent me to the preacher
pockets full of sin

pockets full of blue and black
nothing in my arms
couldn't carry nothing 
but my grieving on my back
Preacher took my burden
(I said
don't send me back)

Preacher took my burden up
Preacher sent me on
I can't tell you where i've been
I know i'm going home

Come with me to the preacher
Don't have to leave your grief behind
Bring your burden with you
Gonna have to come some time




No comments:

Post a Comment