Sunday, April 7, 2019

sounds

This is a list of the sounds I love:

the birdthick dawn. At six their whistles
are manifold, intent:
sweet squabbling

Felix and Geneva in the next room
are trying to whisper;
giggle,
their Lego's plastic crashes--
their floor is an avalanche
in blues and yellows

I do not love
the coffeepot's unlovely, adenoidal drip
the baby yelling to be uncaged
over the dishes' clink and scrape

I love a two year old's unhesitating best
S, L, R: how proud
they trumpet new, unperfect words!

I love old music. My husband's fingers dancing
medieval tunes:
my bones remember
these dances

I love doxology. The ancient creeds
recited with the saints through history.
I love the Justs and Ums of corporate prayer.
I love it when the preacher starts to shout.

I love to read a newfound poem aloud,
or an old friend.

I love the sounds of summer night,
thick, like sweet wine

and all the sounds of summer days:

the buzz and hum of ceaseless bees
lawnmowers
leafblowers
dog barks
faroff sirens
rushing cars
rap bass rattles

a distant laugh

the small sound the dirt makes
fingersifted:
light and rich enough
to eat
Sometimes, I think I hear the beanshoots growing
so eager-unfearful--
How they grow, and sing!

those beautiful children:
they are lifting up their faces,
they are green and little suns




No comments:

Post a Comment